Friday, May 17, 2013

Trapping slowed

Now that the starlings are breeding and food is abundant, trapping has completely stopped. Final tally was just shy of 100.

All the bags have 4 in them (this one only has two), but I sold 10 earlier in the winter. Most of these were caught in the Nest Box, 2 in my tilting floor design, and ZERO in the V trap as it was designed to function.

But I did make the V work for me. I added two one way gates along the floor near the food dispenser. During cold weeks, I would chum the entrance with cat food and prop it open, to try and establish a pattern of food. I would refill it each morning for a day or so, then leave. I would finally chum it at the same time of day and then wait in my car and watch. Usually one or two scouts would test the waters, then quickly many more would show up. I would wait until 5 or more were in the trap, then I would jump out with a lot of noise and arm waving. The starlings would all fly up and away from me and the entrances. I would then drop the one way doors and voila! , the V trap worked!

I would give them a couple of days to get used to hiding in the black box, then I would get them in the box and move them into the killing jar and gas them. Then put four in a vacuum bag, seal it, date it, and into the freezer.

My dad has an over abundance of English house sparrows coming to his feeders, so improving on my V trap work-around,  I designed a trap that uses a mouse trap to close the one way door. I then made a set up so I can use a cord to trigger it remotely.




I made it wedge shaped so that the birds will move to the larger end away from the entrance. We'll see how it works. Downside, someone has to be there to trigger it. Upside, catch only what you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment